Fans of Sichuan dan dan noodles will appreciate tantanmen – it is fundamentally a Japanese variation of the beloved Chinese dish.
With a broth packed with flavour, this recipe is ideal served with home made ramen noodles – and you can conveniently sub out the minced beef for soy and depart out the egg if you are vegan.
For the ramen noodles:
½ tsp fantastic sea salt
¼ tsp kansui
130g drinking water
310g large-protein flour (11%)
Potato starch or cornflour (cornstarch), for dusting
For the ramen eggs:
6 medium eggs
4 tbsp gentle soy sauce
4 tbsp mirin
250ml dashi stock (manufactured from powder) or drinking water (chilly)
For the meat sauce:
1 tbsp neutral oil
200g minced beef (>15% excess fat) or 100g each individual of minced beef and pork
1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
2 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
2 tbsp sweet bean sauce or hoisin sauce
½ tsp dark soy sauce
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
To time the bowls:
¼ tsp ground Sichuan peppercorns, sieved
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
½ tsp light brown sugar
2 tsp Chinkiang black rice vinegar
4 tsp gentle soy sauce
2 tbsp Chinese sesame paste
2 tbsp Sichuan chilli oil (or to flavor)
2 pak choi, leaves separated
200g clean ramen noodles or 100g dried ramen noodles
1 ramen egg
600ml hen or veg broth
1 spring onion, finely sliced
1. For the ramen eggs: carry a pan of drinking water to a fast boil. Reduce the eggs carefully into the drinking water and prepare dinner for specifically 6 minutes. Get rid of from the drinking water and operate less than quite chilly h2o for a few to four minutes, or plunge into a bowl of h2o and ice cubes. When totally interesting, peel the eggs.
2. Mix the soy, mirin and dashi. Submerge the eggs in the liquid and cover with baking paper. Alternatively, place the eggs in a sealable container or resealable plastic bag crammed with the liquid. Leave in the fridge right away to chill and marinate before eating. Will retain in the fridge for up to 5 days.
3. For the ramen noodles (if generating): merge the salt, kansui and h2o, pour around the flour and blend until dry straggles have formed. Deliver the dough jointly into a ball. To do this, utilize pressure using the palm of your hand in a downward motion. Proceed to do this until eventually the straggles of dough are forced alongside one another to type a tough ball and deal with with a damp dish towel, and relaxation for 15 minutes.
4. In the meantime, established up your pasta roller. Clamp it firmly to your worktop as the dough is exceptionally tough. Get rid of the dough from the bowl. Take a rolling pin and push firmly on to the dough, portion by part, right until the it is skinny enough to pass as a result of the pasta roller on its widest location. Pass the dough by. What will emerge may well be very rough and ragged – this is Okay! If the sheet has divided, or holes have appeared, don’t be concerned. Move the dough via yet again on the widest environment and repeat this action right up until you have a single full sheet of dough, with no holes. Reset the pasta roller setting to the next narrowest location. Go the sheet of dough through. Reduce the environment at the time much more, to the 3rd narrowest location. Move the dough via.
5. Now fold the dough in 50 %, lengthways, and go by the pasta roller on the widest setting. Repeat this sheeting and folding method right until you have a sleek and even-textured sheet of dough. The edges of the sheet might have become dry and cracked – this is a result of the folding – but this is Alright. Carefully fold the sheet of dough in half and depart to rest for 30 minutes, lined with a clean dish towel.
6. The moment rested, unfold the dough sheet and move through the pasta roller again to create a slim sheet – on my pasta roller this is a amount five. Move the dough by way of the cutting attachment, then flippantly dust the noodles with potato starch or cornflour (cornstarch) to preserve the strands individual.
7. Location in a sealed container or freezer bag. They get superior with age and resting them for 24 hrs will improve the texture. They are great for up to 5 days in the fridge, but can also be savored straight absent. Prepare dinner the noodles in boiling salted water for 90 seconds. Rinse beneath chilly h2o and serve in your chosen recipe.
8. For the tantanmen: place a substantial pan of salted drinking water on to boil. Blanch the pak choi for 30 seconds, scoop out, then established aside. Cook dinner the noodles in the similar water right up until al dente in accordance to the packet. Drain, then rinse in a lot of cold water to end them from sticking alongside one another. Established aside.
9. To make the sauce, heat the neutral oil in a hefty-primarily based frying pan or wok over a high heat. Add the minced meat and enable it caramelise for at minimum just one moment, with no stirring. Stir, then continue on to prepare dinner for five to six minutes until eventually browned all more than. Add the Chinese 5 spice and cook dinner for 30 seconds. Pour in the rice wine, stir once again, then add the sweet bean sauce or hoisin, darkish soy sauce and black pepper. Mix well, switch down the heat and cook for one more two minutes.
10. Incorporate the ramen egg to a mug of boiling water to carefully reheat. Heat the broth until steaming.
11. To assemble, divide all the bowl seasonings among two serving bowls. Pour in the incredibly hot broth and mix very well to merge. At the past moment, include the noodles, top rated with meat sauce, fifty percent a ramen egg each individual, sliced spring onions and the blanched pak choi.
Recipe extracted from ‘Bowls and Broths’ by Pippa Middlehurst (Quadrille, £16.99 pictures by India Hobson and Magnus Edmondson), accessible 2 September.