As we start out to appreciate summer time gatherings as soon as yet again, there is no greater treat than this strawberry slab pie. Here, two flaky layers of pie crust sandwich quartered strawberries that are a little bit sweetened with brown sugar and scented with vanilla.
As soon as baked, this pie feeds a group and basically begs to be served a la manner.
If you discover yourself with a handful of new summer months deliver, look no farther than this recipe to delight in with your liked types.
Strawberry Slab Pie
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
For the pie crust:
- 4½ cups (585 grams) all-goal flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (230 grams) unsalted butter, chilly
- 14 tablespoons (200 grams) shortening, chilly
- 10 tablespoons ice water
For the filling:
- 2 kilos strawberries, halved or quartered into 1-inch-sized items
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1 egg
- Demerara sugar, if ideal
To get ready the pie crust:
- Give the dry components a whiz in the foods processor to merge.
- Pulse in the shortening and butter, just till evenly dispersed and pea-sized clumps form.
- Include 6 tablespoons of ice water and pulse increase in an additional tablespoon of water until finally a dough commences to form. I commonly want 8 tablespoons of water.
- Take away dough from food items processor and separate in two round disks. Wrap in Saran wrap and chill for at the very least 30 minutes prior to use.
To prepare the filling:
- Merge the strawberries, brown sugar, sugar, cornstarch, salt and vanilla extract in a substantial bowl. Established aside whilst you prep your pan.
To assemble your pie:
- Preheat an oven to 375 levels. Prepare an egg clean by whisking 1 egg with 2 teaspoons of water. Established aside even though you get ready the pie.
- Roll out just one-fifty percent of your dough on a lightly floured surface to make a 12-by-17-inch rectangle. When smoothed and sized, roll the dough back again on to the rolling pin and transfer the dough into a 15-by-10-by-1-inch jelly roll pan. Gently push the dough into the edges of the pan and trim off excess dough, leaving a three-quarter-inch overhand all around all edges. Use some extra dough to fill in spots in which the dough may perhaps have cracked or was not long adequate.
- Sprinkle your organized fruit into the pan and unfold out evenly. If your berries have designed a ton of excessive juice, you can drain a handful of tablespoons of it.
- Roll out your remaining piece of dough into a 12-by-17-inch rectangle. Roll the dough on to your rolling pin and transfer it to the pie. Center the pie top on the pan and fold the base edge around the leading, crimping with your fingers as desired. Use a knife to vent the pie and brush the egg wash in excess of the prime crust. Sprinkle with demerara sugar if desired. Bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or right until the best is golden brown and the filling inside of is effervescent. Rotate the pie through baking as required to brown evenly.