For lots of gardeners in the northeast, the months preceding July are a period of time of eager anticipation for zucchinis, tomatoes, eggplants, corn and all the other veggies, berries, and fruit that summertime provides. In my amazing local weather in central New York, it can consider fairly a while for the garden to get recognized and except if you have a greenhouse, the wait for clean, area veggies can sense prolonged. But in the meantime, there is greens… so several greens!
There’s spinach, chard, and kale. There is also plentiful wild greens (aka “weeds”) that are nutritious and develop everywhere you go this sort of as dandelion greens, garlic mustard, and lambsquarters. There’s herbs like mint, chives, parsley, dill, and oregano. This hearty pie makes use of them all! It’s the quintessential spring / early summer season salad and a fantastic way to sneak more greens into your diet. And it will continue to keep you satisfied while you await all the scrumptious greens summer season will shortly be giving up.
This dish is influenced by Mediterranean green pies like Spanakopita, Hortokopita, and Torta Pasqualina. My model is adaptable to whichever greens are out there to you. If you’ve obtained tons of spinach, use that. If you only have wild greens, which is fine. Each pie I make is a minimal various from the final, dependent on what’s readily available to me. In reality, I under no circumstances measure the ingredients when I make this pie (however I finally had to so I could share it with you underneath!). It’s a quite forgiving and flexible pie. One particular matter to note although, you will see I utilized some newborn kale in the video clip model, I discover that a very little little bit of toddler kale is okay but that kale is normally not ideal in this pie, it’s a bit way too difficult. Greens like chard, spinach, lambsquarters are ideal since they’re so tender when cooked, they genuinely melt in your mouth.
In phrases of the crust, you can really use rather much any recipe you like. Retail outlet-bought puff pastry would be charming if you’re quick on time. Phillo is always great. I originally utilised my favorite all-butter standard pie crust recipe, but more than time, I’ve discovered that I choose an olive oil-dependent crust for this recipe, it has an captivating texture, pretty much crisp on the top, and the bottom cooks improved. (The greens can hold a good deal of dampness and make a common pie crust a little little bit soggy if you never wring their water out seriously perfectly). In simple fact, a lot of of the Italian and Greek recipes phone for an olive oil-based mostly crust so it also feels more real to custom.
It takes a little bit of time and exertion to get ready this pie, but it is well really worth it. It will make a hearty summertime food, and will serve a fantastic 8 or so people. If you are feeding fewer folks, it will give leftover foods for days to occur. And in my belief, the taste only receives far better as the days go by. I from time to time reheat the leftover pie, but I also appreciate to eat it cold. I locate it delicious that way, specifically when I’m in need to have of a fast lunch and have no time to cook.
Oh and yes, frozen spinach is totally great to use in this recipe!
I hope you get pleasure from this pie and make it your personal, permit me know in the comments beneath.
This dish is motivated by Mediterranean environmentally friendly pies like Spanakopita, Hortokopita, and Torta Pasqualina. The recipe is adaptable to whichever greens are available to you.
- 1 1/4 lbs of any assortment of new greens this sort of as spinach, Swiss chard, nettles, dandelion greens, sorrel, lambsquarters, ramps, garlic mustard. If employing frozen, use 3 cups of frozen greens.
- 2 to 3 cups finely chopped clean herbs (can include things like a combine of chives, basil, parsley, dill, or mint – you can use oregano or thyme but in more compact quantities)
- 6 to 7 eggs, overwhelmed
- 12 oz crumbled feta
- 1 massive chopped onion
- 1 chopped leek (optional)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Grated zest from a single natural and organic lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste (keep in mind the feta currently would make the filling salty)
- Pie Crust:
- 1 cup full wheat flour
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- A number of tablespoons of water, if needed
- 1 egg for brushing the top crust
- To make the pie crust, blend the flours, baking powder, and salt collectively in a substantial bowl. Increase the olive oil and combine in right until crumbly. Stir in the yoghurt and if needed, add a tiny bit of drinking water, one particular tablespoonful at a time (I utilised about one tablespoon of water). Don’t overmix the dough. After it comes collectively quickly and is not also damp or also dry, shape it into 2 balls, just one slightly lesser than the other, flatten them slightly, wrap them in a little bit of wax paper, and place in the fridge for about 30 to 45 minutes.
- To make the filling, rinse the greens and steam them for about 5 minutes (I merely steam them in a significant pot with about 1/2 inch of drinking water at the bottom). After the greens are cooked but nonetheless keep a great shade of eco-friendly, drain them and allow them awesome a little bit. (Conserve the green water for your future soup or water your vegetation with it, it’s pretty wholesome). After the greens are awesome ample to take care of, squeeze them applying your palms to get rid of as considerably water as feasible. Chop the cooked greens and area them in a large bowl.
- Sauté the chopped onion and leek in the olive oil on medium heat until softened and translucent. Enable them neat.
- Insert to the greens the crushed eggs, chopped herbs, crumbled feta, cooled onion and leek, lemon zest, and salt and pepper to taste (maintaining in mind the feta currently helps make the combination salty). Blend all the filling components jointly.
- Assemble the dough and filling in a deep pie dish or an 8 by 11 inch casserole baking dish. Roll out the much larger piece of chilled dough into a rectangle, pretty slender, about 1/8 inch thick. Place the big piece down into the base of your pie dish. Brush a very little olive oil all around the dough. Insert the filling, spreading it out evenly. Fold the overhanging edges of the base dough more than the filling (you may perhaps would like to trim them a little bit as I did in the video). Brush a tiny h2o close to the edge of the folded down dough. Then spot the smaller sized piece of dough, also thinly rolled out, on top to address the filling. Pinch the dough edges with each other so they are very well sealed. Brush the beaten egg in excess of the prime of the pastry. Minimize a few vent holes in your leading layer of dough to permit the steam out. Embellish with leftover greens and edible flowers, if you desire. I utilized pansies, violets, chives, garlic mustard, and mint to adorn.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes in a 350 oven, or until eventually the crust is nicely golden and appears carried out. Permit the pie to settle and interesting for 20 minutes or so right before slicing and serving. You can make it forward and reheat it.
Yield: 8 servings
Aube Giroux is a foodstuff author, a James Beard award-successful documentary filmmaker and a passionate organic gardener and dwelling cook, who shares her adore of cooking on her farm-to-desk site, Kitchen Vignettes.